Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

For the Love of Music


           When I first began to play the violin, I was in third grade.  I liked the idea of playing an instrument, but like most kids, I was forced to practice and I resented the violin for that reason.  In middle school, I continued to play in our school’s orchestra at my parents request, but freshman year, I was given the power to decide whether or not to continue my musical education.  Knowing that my parents would be disappointed if I dropped, I unhappily signed up to join my high school’s orchestra.  It is here that I began to look at music as the most beautiful art form of them all.   

            The high school that I attended is known for it’s fantastic music program.  Both the students and the teachers take the art form very seriously, and everyone works hard to create a strong product.  As a class requirement, all orchestra students had to play in the pit in our high schools musical, and at first I was not thrilled.  It was going to be a huge time commitment to attend multiple five-hour rehearsals and shows, especially for someone who didn’t necessarily like theater or want to be a part of the process. 

            When we finally began to piece the show together though, I changed my mind completely.  After running through the thick Broadway book of Beauty and the Beast music for weeks, I had a completely new appreciation for how much work goes into musical performances.  A show is a lot of work in itself, but a musical is nothing without a strong orchestral pit.  It was beautiful to see how a show could come together just through the music that we created as one powerful orchestra.  I now notice the importance of music everywhere within the arts.

            Even this semester, I found myself still impacted by my time in the orchestra.  When we went to see the performance of In the Red and Brown Water, I was so intrigued by the drums.  I felt that the show wouldn’t have been the same without the tribal music.  On my own, I attended a Penn State production of The Producers, and I found myself listening to the beauty of the pit more than anything.  Even when I ventured to the State Theater for the film festival, all I could think about was the perfect music selection in The Graduate. 

         Music is such a powerful division of art.  It has the ability to make the listener feel emotion like no other, and it oftentimes pulls a piece of art, like a musical or a movie, together.  I will forever be happy that I participated in the orchestra because I now view it as the most beautiful art that exists.  



The Wizard of Oz - Mt. Lebanon High School (2011)

Beauty and the Beast - Mt Lebanon High School (2009)

5 comments:

  1. That is so awesome that your high school had such an incredible music program. I loved the videos you posted as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never knew you played the violin and had such an interest in music! I used to play in middle school, and also felt pushed my parents! I stopped in high school, and after reading this I wish I didn't. Maybe I would have appreciated it more like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I've always wished I could be muscial. I really liked how you incorporated the videos in this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also come from a school with a good music program. My father went to school in lampeter but took lessons from a man in lebanon and know that it does carry a heavy musical tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the title of this post "For the Love of Music" :) because I love music and I also play an instrument, the guitar. I have been playing the guitar since I was in 5th grade. I like that you put videos in this post so that we, the readers, could listen to the orchestra. I think it's pretty cool that you play the violin. My roommate plays as well and I love listening to her play music on it. I agree with your statement about music being a powerful division of art and making the listener feel emotions. I witness this every time I perform in recitals at my music school and concerts throughout my town. Overall, I really liked this post. Good job!

    ReplyDelete