Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Botanical Beauty


____About a week ago, my friends and I decided that we would venture out of East Halls for dinner and try something new.  North Commons was selected as our dining location for the night.  We walked along Park Avenue on our way to dinner, taking in our surroundings on this new road.  It was the Arboretum fountain that initially caught my eye.  Since we were heading to North for a late dinner, the sky was already somewhat dark.  The fountain was lit up and glowing across the street.  Lights placed in the fountain made the water sparkle.  The plants around the botanical garden were slightly illuminated from the fountain lights, and everything looked at peace.  We came to a group consensus that we would explore the area eventually. 

            Before my East Hall friends and I got the chance to explore the Penn State Arboretum, I visited with our English class.  I was excited to go because, while I wouldn’t call myself the biggest nature-lover around, I do enjoy looking at plants and walking around scenic areas.  In Pittsburgh, we have a botanical garden called Phipps Conservatory that I love to visit.  I’ve only gone a few times to the conservatory, but it is always fun to see the beautiful types of flowers and trees that can be grown.  I believe that plants are very similar to pieces of artwork in many respects.  While they may not be produced on a canvas or sculpted from a stone, gardeners invest a lot of time into planting.  It is it’s own art form.
  
____Penn State’s botanical garden stayed true to my belief.  All of the plants looked beautiful and well kept, making everything much more aesthetically pleasing.  The flowers were brilliant in color, which to me, sent off a positive vibe.  One portion of the garden that I really enjoyed featured a wooden bench concealed by a roof of vines and surrounded by flowers.  There was something so romantic and private about this area of the garden that I loved.      

____There were also actual artsy pieces placed around the Arboretum that I thought worked well with the plants.  For instance, the yellow wooden chair surrounded by bright, colorful flowers made the botanical garden seem inviting and homey.  Another artistic piece that stood out to me was the stone sundial.  I was instantly drawn to this piece because of its size.  It helps the garden look more exciting, as it takes up a large portion of unoccupied grass.  Also, the mix of the grey stone and the rainbow of flowers looked great together.  In my opinion, the grey seemed to accentuate the bright colors of the flowers and make them pop.  

            I definitely see a returning trip to the Arboretum in my future.  I’m not sure if it was just because we were there early in the morning, but everything about the garden was peaceful.  It was a much different environment than the mayhem that makes up Penn State’s busy sidewalks, streets, and buildings.  I can see myself studying there or reading a book if it’s a beautiful day and I’m searching for tranquility.  I will also eventually make it to the Arboretum with my friends, just as we hoped to do.  It would be a fun place to go for a walk or take pictures on a sunny day.  I’m glad that Penn State has a location like the Arboretum and I look forward to taking advantage of this spot.   

 

2 comments:

  1. Julia,

    I hope your friends enjoyed!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you related the plants to being pieces of artwork like sculptures and paintings and I 100% agree with you. It's an interesting way of looking at it and definitely gives the gardeners the credit they deserve since it does take a lot to make the arboretum look as nice as it does!

    ReplyDelete